does anyone do home ivs themselves?

for the CF adult community...

Moderator: cfirelandie

Re: does anyone do home ivs themselves?

Postby cfirelandie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:52 pm

hi guys,
a long line is a trickier procedure then a canula as it is approx 8inches long (give or take) a hollow needle is inserted like a canula with the line pushed through it, the needle is snapped and taken out. i can't have anymore of them as my veins are aren't straight enough. when they worked they work well as a long line would work and stay in for most of my 2 weeks iv courses (canulas only last 2-3 days for me). caroline
cfirelandie
Site Admin

Postby icepop » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:12 am

Hey Carol,

I'm the opposite- I'm terrified of canulas- for anything, even sedation!! I get nervous having a PICC line put in too but once it's in I'm so much happier. I don't know if it's the same thing as a long line but I suspect it is. I had long lines a few times as a child and it seems the same thing.

Basically you get taken to x-ray (I think it can be done bedside too but where I go they go to xray), they do an ultra sound of your upper arm (bicep area kinda), find a good vein and then do a couple of bee-sting shots to numb the area. That's the worst bit for me. After that, it's a lot of pushing and tugging and once or twice you feel a strange sensation if they can't advance the line. After it's in it can kinda be a bit throbb-y for about a day but paracetemol takes care of this. You need to have the dressing changed after about three days I think too. But I mean you can go about your normal day without fear of it tissuing or anything and it's usually very hidden.

The only problem I had with mine is that having had IVs three times in the space of about 18months, my veins in my right arm closed/blocked with scar tissue so they had to try the left arm and it was a bit of hassle eventually finding a vein in my left. Thankfully it's been three months since my last IVs so the longer I last without -should I ever need them again-, the more healing time there is.
icepop

Postby sharon » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:36 pm

im just finnished two weeks of home ivs - i had the longline - had no problems with it going in - it went straight into the vein on the first go and i didnt feel a thing, it was a lot easier to inject myself - it was just the setting it all up that took so long. i dont use ivs that often thank god - it was two years ago since my last one and i hope its that long before the next.
shar
sharon

Postby jessica ennis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:45 pm

ive never needed home ivs touch wood and this isn't anything to do with the topic really but im in ty so for my work experience i got to work in baxters it was realy cool i got to go into the labs to see all the antibiotics being made up and got to see how the whole system works and all lol mainly i got there cause my dad works there he's a delivery guy say hello to ray if he ever delivers to ya :D
jessica ennis

Postby icepop » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Is that the Baxters place in Deansgrange? There's a Baxter man who lives near me, I've only seen him once or twice but he parks his van on the side of the road.
icepop

Postby jessica ennis » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:06 pm

ye its in deansgrange my dad parked his van outside our house till our nieghbour went off and complained and now he has to make his own way home :?
jessica ennis

Previous

Return to CF Adults