ST Vincent’s unit internet requirements

for the CF adult community...

Moderator: cfirelandie

ST Vincent’s unit internet requirements

Postby cfirelandie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:35 pm

I have been asked by ST Vincent’s to chat to PWCF about what IT requirements we would like in the new unit. They have put in a bedside IT system for internet TV and radio in to Christopher’s that by all accounts is not up to the jobs as it doesn’t work ½ the time and when it does we there are a number of websites such as youtube and facebook that you can’t access.

I feel we need 2 systems a good bedside system that you can get TV / internet etc…that works such as the one in Christopher’s and good hi bandwidth wireless network so PWCF can use there own laptops if they have them.

I am posting this for feedback to see what the rest of ye think of number one: the system currently in Christopher’s is it good / bad, what works what doesn’t what should it do etc…

And secondly : what you we like to see in the new unit internet ( what speed) / TV (What channels, flat screen on the wall or bedside system etc…) video conferencing, play station wii etc… what ever will make the best experience for PWCF.

I need to draw up a report for them next week so if ye can get back to me ASAP with suggestions, and please send this on to anyone you think could add to it, ask them to e-mail me tthompson@cfireland.ie

Thanks a million
Tomás
cfirelandie
Site Admin

Re: ST Vincent’s unit internet requirements

Postby Roo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi Tomas,

Good topic! I always prefer the TV to be on the wall as opposed to one of those bedside arm things so that visitors can also watch with ease and definitely a seperate internet for using with a laptop. I'm not an inpatient very often but that would be my preference. The unit looks to be coming on in leaps and bounds I saw it today.

R
Roo

Postby !ck! » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:22 pm

hi Tomas ,
I've never been in christophers so dont know what systems are there but was in recently and had 2 go down 2 the cafe to use wifi , which was a disaster. So any internet access in the ward would b great. Im the same as roo regard tv i would prefer it on the wall and dont mind about station just the normal is fine.
!ck!

Postby Roo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:32 pm

I hope all of this will apply for the peeps who aren't in the actual unit because of MRSA or Cepacia etc...
Roo

Postby lil lady » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 am

I've only been in Christophers once and was delighted with the room after years of the 6 bed wards!!

I personally likeed the 'arm' tv so you can pull it in nice and close to you. TV station selection was fine.... think there was about 12 - 15 choices.

I found the internet very hard to use with the touch screen system. Ended up just buying a vodafone pay as you use package for my laptop, as wifi would come and go all the time.

A good strong wifi connection would be perfect as then I can just use my own laptop!
lil lady

Postby airulea » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Roo: I hope all of this will apply for the peeps who aren't in the actual unit because of MRSA or Cepacia etc...

Hope so too! Good point...
airulea

Postby kpjm0501 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:46 pm

I know im late posting this but was in for 4 weeks the wifi is ok at times was connected to one called wavelan and it didnt have anything blocked but it always seem to drop after about 30 mins or so.
after a week of this the nurse called the it and got me a username and password for the guests network but that blocked alot of stuff both the connections wouldnt allow games through which is a pity cause when im sick all i wanna do is play a bit of minecraft with my friends or something like that so maybe if they can allow some games through the network too.

hope all is well,

keith
Dont regret your illness but embrace it for it is part of your personality.
kpjm0501

Return to CF Adults