Repeat PFAs (Stomach X-Rays)

for the CF adult community...

Moderator: cfirelandie

Repeat PFAs (Stomach X-Rays)

Postby airulea » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:44 pm

I realised today that I have had 12 PFAs in the last 6 months. That is on top of the usual chest x-rays (probably 3-4). I know that radiation in abdominal and chest x-rays aren't extremely high compared to other tests but I was a bit shocked by the number I've had over the past few months.

So just wondering do other treatment centres (I'm in Vincents) go straight to PFAs when you present with symptoms of DIOS/blockage/bowel problems. Usually I have nausea and am bloated... I then go for a PFA... get treated for a few days... go for a repeat PFA. If I'm not better, then stay on the treatment for another few days and go for yet another PFA.

Do your centres handle this any differently?
airulea

Re: Repeat PFAs (Stomach X-Rays)

Postby brady » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:43 pm

I think i have had about 2 pfas done in the last 3 years, i normally have one done start treatment and i normally dont have to go back for another one, only if the symptons persist.( i attend Limerick)

Carol
brady

Postby pinkfink9 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:16 pm

not quite in keeping with your post....but how do you deal with the bloating cramps toilet trouble etc? this seems to be my teenwcf main symptoms right from the start. does upping your enzymes help or make it worse. i feel so sorry for her, it determines her nights out, her clothing etc.i have tried acidophillus, rennie, movicol, is there some way of getting a handle on it? :shock:
The one thing we all have in common is we are all unique ;)
pinkfink9

Postby Neil » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:45 am

As I attend Vincent's my experiences are similar to yours Airulea so I can't really add much more to the topic.
Regarding getting things moving I've started using coconut oil (available from all good health food stores!) as a cooking oil substitute and as something to add to milkshakes and it really has helped things move.
Neil

Return to CF Adults