Starting Secondary school

for families, friends and partners affected by CF...

Moderator: cfirelandie

Starting Secondary school

Postby christina » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:48 am

Hi all, hope everyone is well. My son (pwcf) is starting secondary school next week. Dealing with primary school (catch up after a hospital stay) was fine with only one teacher, but 9 teachers is a different story. I have an appointment with his form teacher on Friday. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Regards, Christina.
christina

Re: Starting Secondary school

Postby cfirelandie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:50 am

hi Christina, i'm sending you an email, hope it helps. caroline
cfirelandie
Site Admin

Postby airulea » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Get involved with a sports team as it's great for exercise and can make lots of friends by going to training and matches. Do subjects that your son likes so that he's not stressing about something he hates. When I was in 5th/6th year I photocopied my heavy books and only brought in the chapter we were going to do that day as I found my schoolbag fairly heavy - teachers just told me what to bring in for their class. Enjoy it!! Loved secondary school (until the horrible Leaving Cert year!)

~ Air
airulea

Postby cfirelandie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:14 am

great tip photocopying books, i could do with doing that for my poor 8yr old ridiculous the weight of her sch bag in 3rd. caroline
cfirelandie
Site Admin

Postby pinkfink9 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:01 pm

i sent a letter to each teacher my daughter had, even though i had met with head teacher and year head, it was a basic out line not really of her illness but how she liked to be treated, ie, dont pass comment when she coughs (some teachers say really stupid things} allow her to drink water, she may need to be excused to use the bathroom, that type of thing some of my daughters teachers were really mean, no bathroom breaks, no water in class, one teacher even asked her would she live through the lesson after a coughing fit!!!! then i wrote my letter!
The one thing we all have in common is we are all unique ;)
pinkfink9

Postby cfirelandie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 am

letters to each teacher is a good idea but are we guaranteed they will read them, i think it is important to speak to all teachers not just the head or principle, and even better if the student with cf is willing to be there to discuss questions from the teachers, this way you know that they understand the disease and if they have questions in the future they can approach the pwcf at a suitable time.
i think it is the lack of knowledge that makes them mean, i had a science teacher who insisted i smoked and progressed to get my school bag and locker searched for cigarettes because we were giving sputum samples to grow in the lab and when he saw my sample (nice shade of dark green) he panicked (not sure what he thought was going to grow maybe a beanstalk!!!!! :)) a quiet word was had in his ear and needless to say i didn't have anymore run in with him or any other teacher. caroline
cfirelandie
Site Admin

Postby pinkfink9 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:27 pm

funnily enough my teenwcf [17] has alot of pals who do smoke and indeed have worst coughs than hers ever is, and she blends in nicely LOL. funny.
pinkfink9

Postby jub-jub » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:20 pm

i think speaking directly to teachers is really important, but also talk to your son about how he will deal with other students. i dont know if its the same in your area but i went to a school where like 10 or 12 primary schools went together so i didnt know everyone and everyone didnt know me, and about cf. It was so different from primary school because everyone in my class had grown up with me and didnt blink if i launched into a coughing fit or said i wasnt well enough to do pe today or was late due to a doctors appointment or whatever. I found it a bit overwhelming explaining to all these new people why i had been out for a month, or why there's tubing hanging out of my arm..... its just something to think about. of course some people prefer not to tell people but i found that just led to (usually completely inaccurate) speculation...
ahhhhh... secondary school was the best though!! wish i could go back! :P
jub-jub

Postby pinkfink9 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:30 pm

just wondering how school is going for your son christina ;)
pinkfink9

Postby christina » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:27 am

Well so far so good on the secondary school front. The normal amount of slagging and a few jibes about creon, but other than that things are fine. My lad has been very well since starting s/school so it remains to be seen how the school row in if he gets sick.
Well done and thank you to everyone on the radio and tv last week, you are all fantastic and did a super job.
I think the ribbon for the fencing on the building site at St Vincent's is a great idea,
christina

Return to Families & Friends