Anyone using eflow for tobi?

for families, friends and partners affected by CF...

Moderator: cfirelandie

Anyone using eflow for tobi?

Postby KM » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:13 pm

I've been told that the eflow is not authorized for nebbing tobi but wonder are people using it in Ireland? Did you decide to go ahead and use it yourself or from your clinic? I believe there is a particular chamber for the tobi for use with the eflow but that TOBI just haven't authorized it's use so as a result clinics can't stand over the recommendation of it's use.

We are hoping we might get use of TIP whenever it comes available but I wonder could we lessen the treatment burden currently.

Thanks to all
KM
KM

Re: Anyone using eflow for tobi?

Postby Eme » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi!

I used the eflow for tobi when I went on holidays a few years ago. I got a bit of a cold when I was away, but then I found that everytime I used the e-flow with the tobi (while I had the cold) it made me cough so much that I couldn't actually stop long enough for the tobi to go through, which wasn't such a good thing when I really needed the antibiotic to make the cold go away! I ended up throwing out the e-flow a couple of months after that as it rusted and I found that the only thing I was able to use it for was ventolin after that incident on holidays. Overall I found that it was too expensive, had fincky pieces and medication was left afterwards. I'd find that the e-flow is fine for things like ventolin / saline but not really for antibiotics. I asked in CUH what to use when I'm going on holidays or away for a night. They recommended a portable neb which I bought for €400ish as I do a lot of travel, but I think that they also let people borrow some of their stock of portable nebs. Not sure if you're CUH based or not but I'd say your team might do the same thing. I can't remember what it's called but I'll check when I go home and let you know.

I really hope the above helps!!

Eimear
Eme

Postby Eme » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:43 am

Hi KM,

It's called a Freeway Elite.

Eimear
Eme

Postby pinkfink9 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:27 pm

my daughter uses one, we take it on holiday or if she is in a huge rush. it hasnt been approved here for tobi but is used everywhere else for tobi, coli, and saline. i did find when we first got it that she started to get a bad cough after 3 weeks of tobi, and although its really handy for hols we havent used it to replace here usual neb. so, i would recommend it for limited use not continual use. ;)
The one thing we all have in common is we are all unique ;)
pinkfink9

Postby Matthew » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:08 am

hospital pharmacist told us not to use eflow for Tobi at the moment as it delivered the medicine too quickly to be absorbed properly ( their rationale). We used it on holidays for Saline and that is all so far.
Matthew

Postby pinkfink9 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:40 pm

just do long deep breaths and you will be fine
The one thing we all have in common is we are all unique ;)
pinkfink9

Postby Pidley » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:14 pm

the coughing while on tobi could be down to the drug its self, it has a oiliness to it that can irritate airways thats one of the reasons they test you on it... always found it a bit stupid they get u to do one neb and it ur ok after they let u just take it, but i find if im on tobi nebs for longer than 2 weeks it starts to have adverse effects on me because of its oiliness and not as a reaction to the drug... theres also bramitob if anyone is haveing the same problem, its not as oily but its basiclly the same drug
POWER TO THE CYSTICS
Pidley

Return to Families & Friends