Carrier Testing for CF
Each of us carries two copies of every gene, one inherited from our mother and one inherited from our father. Approximately 1 in 19 Irish people are said to ‘carry’ one copy of the altered gene that causes Cystic Fibrosis.
Testing is available through the Molecular Genetics Department at the National Centre for Medical Genetics, Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital Crumlin, Dublin 12.
Carrier testing is available to adults over the age of 16 where there is a family history of CF, or where a family member/partner has been found to carry a CF mutation.
To arrange a test, your GP can take a blood sample, fill in the relevant documentation and send everything directly to the NCMG for testing. Essential information and sample/packaging specifications can be found on the NCMG website. The results will be sent back to your GP.
- National Centre for Medical Genetics
Tel: 01 4096739; Fax: 01 456 0953
- Standard referral information/NCMG request form
- Cystic Fibrosis PIR form: Patient Information Request form for Cystic Fibrosis Testing
- Genetics Factsheet, CF Ireland
- Glossary of Genetic Terms